With great sadness, we learned that our dear friends at Marlin Lodge, Mozambique, were devastated by a fire recently. Their spectacular eco-resort on the Indian Ocean was supposed to host our Honeymoon Contest winners from 2012, who chose a 4-night stay at Marlin Lodge to celebrate their nuptials. But due to the fire, the honeymoon was in jeopardy as Marlin Lodge recovers.
Hearing about the fire, our friends at Village Life Safari stepped in to save the day. They are going to give our Honeymoon Contest winners an extraordinary, memorable, and luxurious adventure in Kenya. From the bottom of our heart, we thank Village Life Safari for their generosity in stepping in to provide the trip of a lifetime!
Here’s a look at the honeymoon:
Village Life Safari, Kenya (4 days/4 nights – Quintessential Masai Mara Safari)
- Imagine your Dream Honeymoon Safari – a unique place where very few people go. The idea of Africa comes to mind. Escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and experience romance in the wild. A mixture of Western and genuine African culture, explore wildlife in their natural habitats and enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime experience in a hot air balloon over the famous Masai Mara. You need not worry about a thing – everything will be arranged for you from your arrival through all events you request.
- Day 1: Your Safari Director/Driver will meet you at the airport in Nairobi and take you for an overnight at the Nairobi Palacina Suite. Day 2: Wake to breakfast at the hotel, then join your guide for a drive through the Great Rift Valley to the Masai Mara in time for lunch. Take an afternoon game drive, and overnight at the Mara Explorer Tented Camp. The Mara Explorer camp is an exclusive five-star camp in the center of the Masai Mara reserve, offering guests the ultimate wilderness retreat. Elephants and giraffes drink from the water as you watch from the privacy of your verandah. The camp offers 10 luxurious and well-spaced tents, each with its own private river frontage. Each tent is furnished in classic explorer style with fine hand-carved mahogany furniture, antique chests, historic prints, and luxurious en-suite bathroom with twin basins and all the modern amenities. The tents have been specially designed to open up to the sky and a deck on one side, and a Victorian claw-foot bathtub offers secluded open-air bathing. Day 3: Your room steward will greet you in the morning with a steaming cup of Kenyan coffee or tea. You will have the option of a hot air balloon ride over the Masai Mara, followed by breakfast. Take a short game drive back to the camp, then relax for the afternoon. A candle-lit dinner for two is served on your tent’s deck. Day 4: Either sleep in or take a morning game drive in the morning. In the afternoon, you will have the chance to visit a Masai village and then choose between a bush walk or a game drive. The day ends with a Sundowner experience just for you on the banks of the Mara River. Spend the last night in your tent, followed by a return to Nairobi in the morning.
- What’s included? All meals, Daily safari and wildlife briefing by Professional Safari Director, Surprise bush breakfast or dinner under the stars, Sundowner experience in the famous Masai Mara, Game drives in the Masai Mara, Visit to Maasai cultural village, Three nights in deluxe Mara Explorer Tented Camp, One Hour massage for the couple, Transfers to and from the airport, Flying Doctors services available, All Airports meet and greet, Bush walk in the Masai Mara, Romantic candle–lit dinner, All entry park fees, Accommodation in Nairobi.
- What’s not included? Airfare; Personal expenses such traveling insurance, excess baggage fee, laundry, emails, faxes & phone calls; Beverages including luxury champagne, luxury spirits, beer, wines during meals; Christmas, New Year and Easter Supplement; Gratuity for your professional driver guide; Cost of obtaining passport and visas; Meals not indicated in the itinerary; Balloon ride in the Masai Mara.
- Approximate total value: $7,000 USD
- Best time to go: Between June and December, Masai Mara National Reserve experiences the world famous wildebeest migration (the 7th wonder of the modern world). The weather is almost always warm and sunny, as Kenya falls on both sides of the tropics and is divided down the middle by the Equator.
- Closest Airport: Nairobi (Jomo Kenyatta International Airport)
- What else to do while in Kenya? Head east to the Indian Ocean for a visit to Zanzibar or Peponi on spectacular Lamu Island. Or head south to Mount Kilimanjaro.
- What’s Socially Green about this trip? Since 2006, Village Life Safari has donated a portion of its profits directly to the children and schools of the Mukuru Slums in Nairobi.